https://annual.wikimedia.org/2014/#editcounterinfo

says

"The edit counter is a live count of all edits across all databases in
Wikimedia’s servers.

How does it work? Every five minutes or so, the system queries the
databases in the Wikimedia cluster for the sum total of all edits on
the Wikimedia projects, and updates this number in a cache. This
version queries that cached number of edits using a custom script. It
picks a number smaller than the total cached number, displays that,
and starts counting upward.

Every few minutes it checks for a new, updated total count. If the
live counter has gotten ahead of itself, and the latest cached number
is smaller than the script's current count, it jumps back to that;
otherwise it keeps counting. The number usually runs about 3 to 5
minutes behind the actual total number of edits on all the Wikimedia
projects.

Edit Counter homepage"
----

Sounds great, however, the homepage link at the bottom leads to

http://tools.wmflabs.org/wmcounter/

which returns HTTP ERROR 503: Service Temporarily Unavailable , and says

"

No webservice

The URI you have requested, /wmcounter/, is not currently serviced.

If you have reached this page from somewhere else...

This URI is part of the wmcounter tool, maintained by Emijrp.

That tool might not have a web interface, or it may currently be disabled.

If you're pretty sure this shouldn't be an error, you may wish to
notify the tool's maintainers (above) about the error and how you
ended up here.

If you maintain this tool

You have not enabled a web service for your tool, or it has stopped
working because of a fatal error. You may wish to check your logs or
common causes for errors in the help documentation."

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 7:07 AM, Heather Walls <hwa...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Dear everyone!
>
> I’m happy to share with you the Annual Report from the Wikimedia Foundation
> for 2014 -- Knowledge is a foundation <https://annual.wikimedia.org>.[1] We
> published last Wednesday, but I'm just catching up enough to send the
> email. (Pardon me.)
>
> This year, we are telling the story of Wikimedia in the context of free
> knowledge, and releasing it as web version (wiki, too!) so that we can
> share that story with even more people.
>
> Knowledge is a foundation. It is a foundation for human potential, a
> foundation for freedom, a foundation for opportunity. Our mutual project,
> Wikipedia, is part of the global support structure for free knowledge.
>
> Most importantly, people are the foundation of Wikipedia. We are inspired
> by thousands of contributors who support the projects, and are excited to
> share a little bit about Dr. Netha Hussain, Jacek Halicki, Dumisani
> Ndubane, Dr. Adrianne Wadewitz, Ihor Kostenko, Dorothy Howard, Ram Prasad
> Joshi, and Jake Orlowitz.
>
> Thank you for the myriad of contributions you make, from coding to writing,
> editing to programs, and uploads to donations.
>
> We've written a blog post about the process we went through this year, and
> how we settled on the concept of 'knowledge as a foundation.'[2]
>
> You can participate in the wiki version of the report here, and soon help
> with translations [3]
>
> Thank you very very much,
>
> Heather & the Wikimedia Foundation Communications team
>

> 1. https://annual.wikimedia.org
> 2. http://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/01/21/annual-report/
> 3.
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation/Annual_Report/2013-2014
>
> --
> Heather Walls
> Communications Design Manager I Wikimedia Foundation
> 149 New Montgomery Street I San Francisco, CA 94105
> heat...@wikimedia.org

John Vandenberg