On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 6:21 PM, Cristian Consonni
<kikkocrist...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On English Wikipedia I have met with resistance in documenting crowdfunding
>> projects. I would like clarity on the extent to which the Wikimedia
>> community feels that it is acceptable to discuss crowdfunding in Wikimedia
>> community information channels.

With more and more Wikimedians engaging in crowdfunding, I suppose we
can talk about whether the mailing list for Wikimedia movement
organization is the place to advertise in this way. For my part, I
don't think a simple (i.e., without any additional context) "please
check out this Indiegogo" is any different from "hey, check out my
blog," so when the last one came through the queue I rejected it
without much thought. It certainly wasn't done with any prejudice.

> As far as this mailing list [i.e. Wikimedia-l] is concerned I can say
> that Wikimedia-related crowdfunding projects have been discussed here
> in the past.
>
> The first example is probably the "The Vanamo Online Game Museum"[1]
> campaign and the last is a project to collect funds for a Wimiedian
> photographer whose equipment was stolen[2].
> Not to mention the WikiCheese campaign[3] by Wikimedia France which
> generated more than some 50 messages on this list.

That's true. In the case of the former, the post was never held for
moderation, and it was *so* not a big deal that I didn't think twice
about that one, either. WikiCheese was a bit of fun that made us all
smile, and I guess if you really wanted to analyze it (I don't), it
was a project that invited broader participation and benefited the
community as a whole.

But, again, I really didn't care either way. The only reason this came
up here is because the latest poster had been put on moderation, and
some people are still unhappy about that.

Austin