Thanks for your replies, and for John's very kind offer. As this involves
various inactive and semi inactive bot operators I will give John an off list
response re that.

On MzMcBride's points, I don't know the relative costs of employing programmers
in San Francisco v other parts of the world. I am more familiar with the huge
contrast in relative labour costs of London v Tbilisi. My point was that Python
programming could be done pretty much anywhere so if we launched such a team we
might as well do it where movement money would go furthest.

As for the idea that we want scalable, sustainable, and secure tools, I agree
and think my suggestion would contribute to that. We still want volunteers to
write bots that do useful things. Some of those will be deemed so useful and
essential that they need to be incorporated into mediawiki, some will be
transient things that might run for a few years but only be needed by their bot
operator. Having a bot adoption resource would be useful for things that fit in
between, ones where the wiki can live without them for a weekend whilst their
bot operator needs their server for something else. But which if they don't run
for months leave a loophole in our quality improvement programmes. So more
scale able and sustainable than bots are today, but not as much as things that
need to be added into the mediawiki code.

Regards

Jonathan Cardy