Just as a postscript to the Belfer Center affair, regular readers will
remember that Russavia wrote in March 2014[1] that –

*The Stanton Foundation has been a long-term donor to the Wikimedia
Foundation [...] Stanton has no website, and apart from several
high-profile grants to the Wikimedia Foundation, it has made grants to the
Council on Foreign Relations, MIT's Department of Political Science, the
Rand Corporation, and Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, in
addition to the Belfer Center. All of these organisations operate in the
arena of international relations.*

*The trustee of Stanton and contact point for the Wikimedia Foundation is
Elisabeth (Liz) K. Allison [...] From the outset, it should be noted that
Liz Allison (Stanton) is married to Graham Allison (Belfer).*

In December 2014, the $500,000 award Jimmy Wales received from the UAE
government proved controversial among Wikipedians; see for example William
Beutler's summary titled "Jimmy Wales and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good,
Very Bad Prize Money", published on his blog, "The Wikipedian"[2].

In the wake of the UAE award, it transpired that Wales had previously been
reported[3] on the World Economic Forum website to have contributed to a
"Guide to Good Government and Trust-Building" compiled "in cooperation and
with the support of the Government of the United Arab Emirates".

When Wales was pointed to the UAE government's human rights violations and
asked why he had lent his name to the effort, given the UAE government's
signal lack of credentials in this field, Wales said that he had been asked
to contribute by Prof. Nye of Harvard.[4] According to the Harvard website,
Prof. Nye, too, works at the Belfer Center.[5]

Some Wikipedians also raised Wales' 2011 "Wikipedian of the Year" award for
the Kazakh WikiBilim organisation in the discussion of the UAE award.[6][7]
William Beutler referred to this part of the discussion in his piece,
saying that the "Kazakh situation [had] always struck [him] like a misstep
on the part of the Wikimedia Foundation and Wales both—seemingly a
partnership entered into without a clear understanding of the situation".[2]

Jimmy Wales commented in a 2013 discussion, "As far as I know, the
Wikibilim organization is not politicized." This always struck me as
strange. Quite apart from WikiBilim's state financing, the Kazakh Prime
Minister's photograph appears on every page of WikiBilim's website, which
says that "In order to increase the attention of society and especially
young generation of internet users Wikibilim started to administrate Kazakh
Wikipedia."[7]

Just to put this in perspective: does it not seem inconceivable that Jimmy
Wales would give a "Wikipedian of the Year" award to a Russian Wikipedia
organisation that had Putin's or Medvedev's face on every page of its
website, where it claimed to "administrate" the Russian Wikipedia? How is
Kazakhstan different? I still do not understand it.

It came to my attention some weeks ago that Graham Allison, the Belfer
Center's director, is not just the husband of the Stanton Foundation's Liz
Allison, but also a past recipient of a special medal of friendship from
Kazakh president Nursultan Nazarbayev, for his "contribution to
strengthening friendship and cooperation between Kazakhstan and the United
States."[9]

Allison also authored the introduction to President Nazarbayev's book,
"Epicenter of Peace".[9]

Given the above past instances of Wikimedia Foundation leaders obliging
Belfer Center staff by acceding to their requests, do people think that
this reported friendship between the Belfer Center's Director and the
Kazakh government may in some way have influenced dealings between
Wikimedia Foundation board members and WikiBilim?

I would further recall here that in July 2012, Kazakh media reported that
Jimmy Wales had "thanked the Kazakh government for creating conditions for
significant achievements in the development of the Kazakh language
Wikipedia".[10] This was half a year after "A [Kazakh] law that took effect
in January 2012 required owners of internet cafés to obtain users’ names
and monitor and record their activity, and to share their information with
the security services if requested," as noted by Freedom House in its 2013
report on freedom of the press in Kazakhstan, among many other issues.[11]

If the quote in the Kazakh media report is accurate, wasn't this a strange
statement to make for a self-declared champion of free speech? How does it
fit with the movement's goals and values?

[1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2014-March/070665.html
[2] http://thewikipedian.net/2014/12/26/uae-prize-money-human-rights/
[3]
http://www.weforum.org/news/global-agenda-council-launches-guide-good-government-and-trust-building