I agree that any community service type editing would have to be planned and
done carefully as the type of work being done is everything. Obviously adding
content about businesses and television shows would have no community impact,
but documenting cultural topics, marginalized peoples, and the like very well
could. Not to mention academic topics to the same communities as Wikipedia Zero
serves. No sense students having free access if they information they need does
not exist.
Servicio social for Mexican universities also has an academic component,
relating the service to their majors. María José has written a blog post, which
is in the draft queue, about her experience which I hope gets published
eventually.
Leigh