On 17/04/15 19:13, rupert THURNER wrote:
> Tim, I am not too sure about this. No single piece of open source software
> comes to my mind when hearing bay area or silicon Valley.

BSD, sendmail, vi, GTK+ and GIMP, Mozilla, Ceph, Docker.

> Do you not have the impression beeing located in the United states poisons
> the minds of people and has quite a bad influence on the technology output
> of Wmf?

No.

> Did you ever meet some young hungry person with good ideas there
> willing to contribute?

Yes, we hired some of them.

> The only goal of a brilliant person in the this area
> is to get rich with his own company.

Maybe you should visit some day. Urban California is left-leaning, at
least by American standards, full of compassionate, progressive
people. San Francisco was at the centre of the hippie movement in the
1960s, and continues to have a leading role in America's civil rights
dialogue.

We get a constant stream of prospective employees who say their main
reason for wanting to work for Wikimedia is because they want to do
something positive with their lives, not just earn money. That would
probably be true anywhere, but it underscores the fact that the Bay
Area does not "poison their minds".

-- Tim Starling