On 3 June 2015 at 19:11, Michael Peel <em...@mikepeel.net> wrote:

> public
> votes
> out
> >> have
> >>
> >> In UK political elections I think that would be illegal...{{citation
> >> needed}}
> >>
> >> They certainly exist in Canada, and I'm quite certain they exist in the
> UK
> > as well, because that's how the official poll watchers (or scrutineers,
> as
> > we call them in Canada) know who to "get out" when getting out the
> > vote.  They don't get published online, but there is a right to examine
> > the list of individuals who can vote at the office of the local senior
> > election official for a few weeks afterward, and then at the national
> > election office once any challenges have been completed.  Of course in
> > places where voting is mandatory, the failure to vote is going to be
> public.
>
> Wow. I'm very far from being an expert on the UK voting system, but my
> understanding is that although the list of who can vote may be made public
> (where voters have agreed to this), who has not yet voted (or, after the
> fact, who has not voted) would never be made public. In the UK, election
> scrutineers would only be involved in reviewing votes that had been cast,
> not who had not voted.

It occurred to me that there's this really great online reference source
called Wikipedia that's generally pretty accurate when it comes to things
like this, so I looked up "Electoral roll".  In the UK, "[a]fter an
election a 'Marked Register' can be inspected, which is a copy of the
register used for the election with a mark by each elector that has
voted."[1]

As I said...while it's generally accurate, sometimes it's incomplete.  I
note the absence of any information about Canada there, although it is
fairly close to the UK system as discussed in the article.

Risker/Anne

[1]  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_roll#United_Kingdom