Yes, but may I also point out that one of our biggest problems on EN wiki is
that even good faith newbies will often have their edits reverted. If you add
uncited facts to a page you are now much more likely to have your edit reverted
than to have someone add <citation needed> so I would suggest a metric that
includes persistence v reversion of edits that are not vandalism.

Another issue worth measuring is the number of edit conflicts and the frequency
that having an edit conflict triggers a newbies departure. This would require
WMF help as I don't think that edit conflicts are publicly logged. But some
research on this might resolve the divide between those who consider this a
minor issue deserving only the lowest priority at bugzilla, and those such as
myself who suspect this is one of the most toxic features of the pedia and
reducing edit conflicts the easiest major improvement that could be made.

By contrast commons is a relatively lonely place. From my experience you can do
hundreds of thousands of edits there without ever needing to archive your
talkpage. It would be interesting to see some community health metrics that
looked at how many interactions people have with other editors, whether thanks
or talkpage messages. My suspicion is that editor retention will vary by
interaction level, and there will be a sweet spot which is best for retention,
above this interaction level some people finding things distracting, and below
this level people leave  because they feel ignored.

Another metric, and probably one best derived from polling organisations who
survey the general public would be to identify how many of our readers would
fix an error if they spotted it. One of the arguments that our perceived
decline in editor recruitment is a cost of quality is the theory that readers
who are willing to fix obvious errors are finding fewer errors per hour of
reading Wikipedia. I know that casual readers are less likely to spot typos and
vandalism than they were a few years ago, but  I'm not sure the best way to
measure this phenomenon

Regards

Jonathan Cardy