I infer that you would have preferred a single US chapter from the start, wouldn't you?

Il 28/06/2015 06:08, Risker ha scritto:
Ironically, Ricordisamoa, the "decision" to not have a US chapter was made
around 10 years ago at the strong urging of other chapters. The theory (as
I understand it) was that the US was the home of the WMF itself, which in
the view of the era, meant that the US didn't need the "protections" that
came from a chapter; the WMF itself was perceived to speak for US
Wikimedians. (Given the times, back when there were literally only enough
employees to run the servers and sort of keep an eye on MediaWiki, this was
perhaps an incorrect assessment.) Then US regions started to form chapters,
first New York then DC; there are now a significant number of user groups.
If there had been a US chapter formed back at that time, there would only
be one US chapter; the rest would never be recognized at the chapter level.
Instead, we now see the specter of what could come, since the US alone as a
nation with a large number of Wikimedians does not have the opportunity for
a single chapter:  given a little bit more organization, and the ambition
to do the paperwork to become a chapter, the US could have as many (or
more) chapters than exist in all of Europe in a few years.  One has to
wonder if some other countries, especially those with a large number of
Wikimedians or a massive geographic area, might wish they had gone with
regional affiliates rather than a national one.

Risker/Anne