Do you really think they may be acting in bad faith?
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Trillium Corsage
Sent: Wednesday, 02 September 2015 10:58 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] "Wikipedia rocked by 'rogue editors' blackmail scam
targeting small businesses and celebrities"

The Orangemoody network seems to have been providing a service: bring the
apparently self-submitted but failed drafts of articles of persons,
organizations, and businesses up to compliance with Wikipedia standards and get
them live, then accept a previously negotiated fee. After some months of
safeguarding those articles for free, they would offer to continue doing so at
a monthly rate. I'm not seeing the harm.

Oh, I'd like to check if the articles were actually unduly promotional and POV
and so forth, unfortunately the erstwhile investigators have deleted them so
no-one except administrators may see. Which comes in handy for the
investigators, because it means everybody must go by their characterizations of
the articles.

I heard a murmur that Orangemoody would actually request deletion of its own
articles if the subject failed to agree to the monthly fee, but Risker said
this vaguely as if there were only a couple or few examples of this.

As well, though the IP addresses have not been disclosed, one of the accused
Orangemoody accounts belongs to a Bangladeshi editor of three or more years.
Raising the question of whether geolocation to Bangladesh and other nearby poor
countries was a clue to the investigators to connect the Orangemoody accounts.
Which on confirmation would raise the further question of whether the entire
case was almost exclusively comparatively well-off westerners destroying the
business and livelihood of impoverished Bangladeshis and other easterners just
trying to put food on the table for their kids.

 Trillium Corsage