Hello folks,

I was adding citations to an internal WMF page, and I went down a wiki-
archaeology rabbit hole trying to find the origin of the WMF's Values and
Guiding principles documents.

I'd like to reach out to the collective accumulated experience of this list to
sort out a few questions and disambiguate the two concepts.

I realize a lot is happening in the movement (and on this list) these days,
and this isn't an urgent, important or groundbreaking discussion. This message
is more like a message in a bottle, hoping to find knowledgeable people that
can
help me clear up the ambiguity :)

This is what I've got so far (with some help from Tilman Bayer for a few bits):

-o-o-o-o-

* Florence Devouard (then-Chair of the WMF's Board of Trustees) started a
discussion about the Foundation's values on the foundation-l list in 2007:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/19502

* The list of values was first drafted by the Board and the Advisory Board, and
then discussed on Meta-Wiki with the larger communities:

https://advisory.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meeting_August_2007/Notes#Values
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Values

* The discussion was restarted by Florence in early 2008 on foundation-l. She
presented a new, longer draft of six core values with explanations, and
proposed "to the board to finalize (-> approve) the values of Wikimedia
Foundation.":

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/25147/

* After some feedback from list members, she posted a modified version on the
Meta-Wiki page, which is largely identical to today's text:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=858927&oldid=856985

* It is unclear whether those Values were officially approved by the Board. I
couldn't find a resolution or meeting minutes indicating official approval.

* In 2013, then-Executive Director Sue Gardner drafted a list of Guiding
principles for the WMF, which were presented to, and approved by, the Board in
May of that year.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Guiding_Principles
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Minutes/2013-04-18#Guiding_Principles
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Wikimedia_Foundation_Guiding_Principles

* That resolution indicates that the guiding principles "may come to replace
the previous list of values", but I couldn't find any confirmation that they
did
replace them.

* A conflicting statement from Sue on Meta-Wiki indicates that "This document
isn't intended to supersede the Values document. It's actually intended to
flesh out the values a little bit further, so it's more explicit how we live
them on a day-to-day basis at the staff level.":

https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=5375389&oldid=5367067

-o-o-o-o-

We're linking to the WMF's Values in a lot of prominent places, and they've
also been brought up many times in recent strategy discussions. There seems to
be an underlying assumption, in those discussions, that the Values are a
document with the same origin and status as the Vision & Mission statements.

My impression (and I'd like to hear thoughts from this list about this) is
that the Values document was never "officially" approved by the Board, and
instead is more the result of a soft consensus.

This isn't to say that those Values wouldn't have as much weight, importance or
authority as voted-on documents like the Mission & Vision statements, or the
WMF Guiding principles. An unchallenged consensus seems like a valid way of
validating rules and principles, especially in the context of our movement.
I'm trying to get confirmation about whether this is the case, so as to remove
the ambiguity and acknowledge the origin story.

As I mentioned, this isn't the most important topic of discussion right now.
I'll still be grateful if someone can help me understand the backstories :)

--
Guillaume Paumier