I agree, we shouldn't fee anything but a "reimburse" for the massive usage of our hardware/networking resources would be ok.

Using over the tops' facilities would be great but it would also bring to privacy concerns.

Finally if an over the top wants some further feature it can fund scholarships, easy, transparent and without any side effect.

Vito

Il 16/01/2016 17:22, Peter Southwood ha scritto:
I agree with Todd on most, possibly all points, but if Google want to finance
faster access for their search engine, in way of hardware, software or
development, with no strings attached, as long as it puts no-one at a
disadvantage at the time or in future, then why not?
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Todd Allen
Sent: Saturday, 16 January 2016 6:02 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Monetizing Wikimedia APIs

I wonder how many ways there are to say "No"? Well, let's start with "no".
(My actual thoughts on this idea would probably get me put on moderation, so
I'll refrain.)

I helped build this project to be freely available to all reusers for all
purposes. The WMF's job should be to provide as many ways as possible to make
that reuse easy by anyone who wants to, whether that reuser be a multibillion
dollar tech company or a kid in sub-Saharan Africa. It is a fundamental
principle that no one, ever, should be charged to access, reuse, whatever have
you, Wikimedia content. Not even if they could afford to pay.

Conversely, Google should never get a foot in the door to control Wikimedia or Mediawiki.
And anyone who's writing a check holds some cards. Big check, lot of cards. If they want
to donate to Wikimedia (and it'd be in their interest to, they certainly make significant
use of our content), great! If they want to donate with strings attached, thanks but no
thanks. We're certainly not hurting for money. If they want to pull a recurring donation
if we do or don't do something, the answer should always be "Sorry to see you go.
Thanks for the donations in the past."

I am becoming more and more convinced that the formal vote of no confidence Fae keeps
putting forth is in fact necessary. And I don't exactly often agree with Fae, nor am I
the Wikipediocracy "Beat up Wikipedia and Wikimedia at every opportunity" type.
Rather, it's out of deep concern and care for the project I've spent a lot of time
helping to build, and a lot of other people have too. I don't want to take that step, but
this has got to stop, here and now.

Todd

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Peter Southwood <