I decided to support that vote.

This has not been an easy decision because I find it *tremendously* painful to vote against a person and it hurts me in my feelings to do so. I hoped very dearly that the board would actually issue a statement that would have helped me understand the decision and convinced me that this appointement was a good decision. I hoped very dearly Arnnon would post on this list to address the issue and to convince me he was a good fit in spite of the whole situation. I waited... waited... waited... but nothing came.

I can't sit and say nothing.

Learning the whole story about Arnnon was a disappointment to me as it means the board selection process is not working as it should be (for a mature organization as WMF ought to be by now). If the screening process had been done properly, I believe the board would have refrained from selecting him, or at least would have taken the time to address the issue before any appointement announcement. This decreased my trust in the board a bit, but I can live with that. Such mistakes do happen ;)

Secundly, Kat completely nailed it with regards to integrity being one of our core values. https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-January/080854.html. I do feel unconfortable with Arnnon being on the board.

Then I was astonished when I discovered that Dariusz, who has been a board member for over 6 months, was not aware of the existence of the Conflict of Interest Policy, which include a pledge of commitment and an obligation to disclose potential conflicts of interest. A policy voted by the board several years ago and mandatory for all board members. It is apparently not enforced anymore, even though it is an approved policy and obviously a good governance practice. This makes me think the board is not operating properly anymore on this serious matter.

Last, and not least, over two weeks after the issue was raised on the mailing list, by several trusted members of our community, the current board of trustees has not addressed the issue.

I hesitate between two interpretations. Either the board is completely paralyzed and no more able to make any decision as to what they should do. Or the board has decided not to provide any feedback, which I consider completely disrespectful to the community and unhealthy generally. Either way, I consider this lack of responsiveness from the board an even WORSE consideration than Arnnon being a board member.

I love you guys... Patricio, Alice, Frieda, Dariusz, Denny, and Jimbo (*). I love you very much. I know each of you. I value every one of you. You guys rock in most of what you do and I know it is hard. It is a big commitment, it is a lot of pressure, it is time-consuming. And I thank every one of you for your gardianship as well as boldness in taking some tough decisions.

But here... I do not understand what you are doing. Please take my vote as a respectful record of my perplexity.

Anthere

(*)Citing community-born members only. Appointed members bring great perspective, but I do not expect them to know it all about Wikimedia community.