First of all, I also think that we cannot expect us to fulfill our mission
by having all the world visiting our sites. A good percentage of that
mission probably needs to be fulfilled elsewhere thanks to our free
licenses and APIs.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Magnus Manske <magnusman...@googlemail.com
> wrote:

> We prefer people to read Wikipedia articles on Wikipedia, because a few of
> them will turn into editors, which they cannot do on any other site
> (without forking).

Even the idea of the remote contributors needs to be better explored. Our
APIs are not only GET, they are also POST. Editing the en.wiki article
about Cologne probably must happen in en.wiki itself, but there are many
types of contributions that allow for more flexibility and, in fact, might
be a lot more successful out of our Click-the-Edit-link paradigm.

https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikidata-game/ (oh, Magnus Manske was here as
well)  ;) might be the prehistory of this trend. Binary decisions become
useful Wikimedia contributions without the need of instructions or (in some
cases) specialized knowledge. Binary decisions and other very simple
interactions are at the core of massively successful mobile and/or social
games that many of our friends and their kids play.

Meanwhile, people are uploading all kinds of media, crowdsourced
translations sentence by sentence are not exotic anymore and, in general,
crowd efforts are becoming part of mainstream Internet. Wikipedia actually
inspired this trend, showing that even a goal as complex as an encyclopedia
could be achieved by us, the people, in our free time, with a pool of small
personal investments.

Who will make the connection between Wikimedia's pool of free knowledge and
hundreds of possible non-Wikimedia projects that could contribute more free
knowledge to Wikimedia? Certainly not us average Wikimedians busy with our
watchlists and routines, and certainly not us here discussing with
ourselves in wikimedia-l while the World keeps spinning. Hopefully the
connections will be made by hundreds of creative minds scratching their own
itches and satisfying their own curiosities. But if we don't pitch them the
idea of plugging Wikimedia to their experiments and products, who will?

PS: all these discussions are very relevant for
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Strategy and I encourage you to
influence the WMF strategy by leaving there your answers and choices about
Reach, Community, and Knowledge. Going through the questionnaire took me
about 15 minutes and I found the exercise interesting.

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil