Hi, Tobias.

In the time I've worked at the Wikimedia Foundation, I have
(unsurprisingly, given its reported prevalence) come across this kind of
harassment in my work with Support and Safety (formerly Community
Advocacy). There have been cases where perfectly harmless pictures of the
individuals have been doctored to be sexualized and cases where existing
pornographic pictures that were not the individual were selected and
misattributed as being them. I have personally been involved in complaints
of this happening to both men and women.

Best,

Maggie

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Tobias <church.of.emacs...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you Patrick.
>
> The (preliminary) report is in my mind deeply disturbing, not merely by
> how widespread harassment is, but also by what types of harassment
> respondents cite.
>
> User page vandalism and flaming I would have expected, but around 35% of
> respondents in our community* apparently were subject to Outing, Threats
> of Violence, Impersonation and Hacking.
>
> Almost one third (!) of the respondents were themselves the subject of
> revenge porn, defined by the survey as: "publishing of sexually explicit
> or sexualised photos of without one's consent".
>

> Wait, what? How could that possibly be...?
>
> Either a substantial number of respondents did not answer truthfully, or
> they didn't understand the question, or I really have no clue what's
> going on in this community.
>

> Tobias
>
> * I multiplied the percentage of responses (~65%) with the number of
> users who were asked this question because they reported they'd been
> harassed or maybe harassed (54%).

Maggie Dennis
Director, Support and Safety
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.