Teemu,

As a followup:

We would love to be more aligned with Open Access publishers, but at this
point, we have yet to find a demonstrably *repeatable* and *scalable* model
of programming which we could promote to the entire movement and the Open
Access community. When OA publishers already set the standard for Open
knowledge, its less clear where to intervene (whereas, supporting GLAM,
EDU, STEM and TWL outreach are about unlocking hard to find or closed
access material for our community to take advantage of).

We do have a relationship with PLOS at WMF:

   - We have been including contacts within PLOS on a collaboration to
   improve the Wikimedia ecosystem for citations and research, including
   looking at structured data in Wikimedia citations (something we are
   beginning to explore with Wikimedia Research, WikiProject X, WikiProject
   Source Metadata, WMDE, CrossRef and others). You should hear more about
   this in the next 4-6 months, as it becomes actual collaboration among these
   groups.
   - We are also reaching out to PLOS to participate in Dark Traffic
   Research:
   https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikimedia_referrer_policy and
   they are further connected to us via our relationship with CrossRef.
   - We have had several calls with the PLOS partnerships team as The
   Wikipedia Library, and have seen a bit of stalled trying to figure out how
   both our community and theirs could benefit from a partnership more
   extensive than a WIR or volunteer led content drive, programatically -- and
   those kinds of individual leadership roles are outside what we develop at
   the WMF (see our criteria for new projects in Program Capacity and
   Learning: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Program_Capacity_and_Learning)
   .

So the question is: what are the best ways to collaborate with Open Access
publishers? And who can lead in these initiatives? We would be happy to
mentor any volunteers or affiliates who want to develop these program
models on behalf of the movement.

If you have ideas, we would encourage sharing them with WikiProject Open
Access (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Open_Access),
or on IdeaLab (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab).

Cheers,

Alex Stinson