Hi Brion,

these signals indeed worry me a bit. The fact that they bring it up so
directly, probably indicates they have struggled with it. If we indeed want
some kind of overarching body for the movement as a whole, and the current
board feels incapable to be that, there are I think a number of remedies,
of which you mention one. Some are less likely (or desirable) to occur
though:

- select different board members who are capable of mixing the two (this
only works if one believes that the board members are imagining boundaries
that are not there)
- Changing the WMF to change this dynamic (i.e. changing it to a membership
organisation, changing the mission, etc.)
- Creating an additional body inside the WMF that can take up this movement
role better
- Creating a non-legal entity (a council without any standing) - this would
only work for some moral authority
- creating a separate body that would become the umbrella (or creating
another WMF, which will take over most activities from the current
organisation, allowing the umbrella to hold the trademarks etc)

The question is indeed what we're trying to accomplish. Some of these work
well for community matters, but if I read the temperature well, it seems
rather that people are looking for a way to impact what the WMF does. A
representation without any actual powers would become quickly moot.

But there is another side to community representation, and that is to ease
communication. I have suggested before that some kind of council or body
with community representatives (probably informal in a way) might make
communication with the community in a constructive way easier. Maybe that
would make it less likely that things are kept hidden, that the community
is not consulted. Because having a channel that will actually have a
conversation with you instead of shouting back no matter what you do (and
that is definitely how it must have felt to some staff members in the past
years) is no fun, and not a warm encouragement to involve the community
early on. It is oh so easy to wait it out a bit, until you have solid
numbers to proof your story. And before you know, it's basically too late
to turn back. For this role, the WMF board is definitely unsuitable, if
only because its members are very unrepresentative for the community
(albeit they come /from/ the community for a big part) due to their
international nature, and often they stopped editing altogether..

Lodewijk