On 11 March 2016 at 11:35, Adam Baso <ab...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hi there - speaking to one thing I'm familiar with, with respect to image
> selection, we believe https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124225 should
> address fair use ("non-free") images, although page reparses will happen
> gradually (pages are cached for up to 30 days or so).

Indeed. I manually triggered a reparse on a page which I knew had a
non-free page image (by adding a space
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mario&diff=prev&oldid=709579986>
to a part of the page where it didn't affect the layout), and the page
image was recalculated and is now a free image. Working as intended! :-)

the English
Wikipedia guidelines on non-free content
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Non-free_content> includes a list
of exemptions
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Non-free_content#Exemptions> which
explicitly allows non-free content to be surfaced in search results without
accompanying fair use rationales. Additionally, English Wikipedia policy is
not applicable on a global page such as wikipedia.org. Therefore, the
portal was never actually in violation of any policy. Regardless, as Adam
noted, for other reasons where this policy *did* apply, T124225
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124225> was enacted which prevents
non-free images from appearing as thumbnails in search results.

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Garry