Hello Anthony,

in my opinion, the board should not discuss individual projects, at least when I was on the board we decided not to. The board looks at policies that are more general and global. The resolutions that the board issued, which do impact the projects, are (or at least were) always formulated in a way that it applies to all projects. And they always only state the principle, and let the individual projects room to implement the principles into their own policies.

That said. Naturally every single board member bring their own experience, and in discussions we did use our individual experiences to explain our position. But when we formulated a resolution or made a decision we always tried to avoid to set up a principle or a decision on one project.

There is no clear boundary for COI, as someone else had already said. Everyone of us has our own personal red lines. I am not someone who would comment other people's red line. Actually generally I tend to accept the fact that other people have a different red line.

I would like to give you an example to show you my red line: Back in 2009 when we were working on the strategic planning I decided to not be member of the workshop that deal with China, instead of that I took part in the movement roles workshop. And I didn't take part on the discussion when it came to the decision if China should be a hot spot or now. The reason for that is exactly because as a board member I may be put a special emphasis on the topic China, and there is potentially a bias of my opinion which may lead the Foundation do a wrong decision (in that case it may mean waste a few tens of thousands of dollars). Naturally there were community members who were not happy with this. And there were some critics when the board decided in favor of India, Africa and Middle East. I was quite confident that there were many people who can better examing China than me, and looking back, it was a right decision.

Generally speaking, my principle is if there is a possible COI then avoid it. Defending a COI suspect (even if it is wrong) costs more energy than avoid get into that situation.

Beside of that, you also need to think that the best involved and engaged trustee may also have a single point of view, which may differ with the rest of that community. I know that in many things other zh-wk community member have a different opinion than me.

Greetings
Ting