Pine,

As many of our admins and functionaries are well aware, both the Wikimedia
sites, and the internet architecture as a whole, favour anonymity and
protection of privacy over the ability to track individuals.  When a user
is technically proficient in hiding themselves, platforms and even law
enforcement can have little luck in determining who or where they are.
Anonymity has great benefits, but also can allow great abuses.

There are of course "easy" solutions that would involve changes to our site
accessibility - for instance, requiring secondary identification, such as
social media accounts or verified emails.  However, those are decisions
that the community as a whole needs to discuss, and not something I or my
department can change unilaterally. That said, improving Wikimedia's
blocking tools and detection methods is an area where some progress can be
made.

One of the benefits that this Inspire campaign can provide is open
discussion and consideration of new approaches.

Pax, I am disheartened to see how some of the IdeaLabs are being used to
belittle this problem, and am working over the weekend to keep at least the
worst instances of abuse and hate-speech off of the pages :(

Best,

Patrick Earley
Senior Community Advocate
Wikimedia Foundation