Interesting.
I have personally experienced the same kind of violtion of rights many
times from media and other professional authors, and I have several times
asked for compensation which they have always granted. This includes
large national media and the state broadcaster.
I have usually claimed 500-1,000 USD, and always received the claimed
amouny without the use of lawyers.

Erlend

Den tirsdag 28. juni 2016 skrev Cristian Consonni <kikkocrist...@gmail.com>
følgende:

> Hi,
>
> Last week a small case of copyright violation come to a positive
> conclusion.
>
> Niccolò Caranti [[User:Jaqen]] is a Wikipedian and as a professional
> photographer also a very prolific Commons contributor to the point
> that he is a sysop both on itwiki and Commons.
>
> He recently discovered that one of his photos was used for an event
> without respecting the terms of the CC-BY-SA license, i.e. without
> proper attribution to him and reference to the license.
>
> Supported by Simone Aliprandi - a lawyer specializing in intellectual
> property and author of a number of (free/libre) books on the topic of
> licenses and Creative Commons in particular - they sent a formal
> request to the organizers of the event.
>
> The issue has been resolved amicably with all legal costs paid by the
> agency that was working for the organizers of the event (who admitted
> their mistake) and a compensation for the author.
>
> You can read more about this case here:
>
> https://aliprandi.blogspot.it/2016/06/photo-from-wikipedia-violation-license-caranti.html
>
> Cristian

*Erlend Bjørtvedt*