Hi Gerard,

I chatted with Trey (who did the analysis) for his opinion on your
concerns. Here is his response:

Hi Gerard,

I wasn't trying to pass judgement on notability when the search referred to
> a particular person, place, or thing, but I did take it as a sign of
> non-notability when a page had been created and then deleted for a
> particular person or website. Those items could become notable in the
> future, and any of them might be notable enough for Wikidata—but the
> original discussion seemed to be mainly about queries to English Wikipedia.
> My conclusion, for English Wikipedia, is that there is not some gold mine
> of super high-frequency typos or new topics that we are missing out on.
> More importantly, there are real privacy concerns, and simple fixes—like
> requiring some number of unique IP addresses to have searched fro
> something—are not enough.
> I have looked at thousands of queries from about a dozen other language
> Wikipedias—some in more depth than others, and admittedly not usually
> sorted by frequency—but my intuition is the same as it was for English
> Wikipedia: not enough of value there to override privacy concerns.
> Automation is out for privacy reasons and manual review is not worth it,
> so this isn't a priority for Discovery right now.

I hope that helps to further explain what we found and why we're not acting
further on this issue at this time.

Cheers,

Deb

--