IMHO we should divide criteria into two categories, reflecting two
different kind of issue:

*someone *cannot* partecipate because of a certain issue -> the proposal is
rejected
*someone may not feel comfortable in partecipating -> the proposal is
somehow penalized

In other words, if LGBT people is at risk in Saudi Arabia then Wikimania
cannot be held in Saudi Arabia. If LGBT people might face some difficulties
in North Carolina then North Carolina will lose a certain amount of
preference to -for example- Belgium where LGBT people might be more
comfortable.

I know this might weaken our effort to reach non-Western countries but I
rather support giving anybody the *opportunity* to partecipate.

Vito