Hi Isarra, thanks for the excellent questions. Here's my attempt to answer
them:

The purpose of the statement of purpose is to gain clarity and build trust
within the design group and with their principle stakeholders. With the
statement itself, we seek to gain clarity and shared understanding about
what design at the WMF is here for and trying to achieve (at a big-picture
level). Through the process of defining the statement of purpose, we hope
to build trust amongst the design group and with their principle
stakeholders. So, the primary audience for this document is the design
group itself, with the stakeholders of design being a secondary audience.

Moving forward, that is once the statement of purpose is done, design can
take a close look at where it is now relative to where it wants to be as
defined by the statement of purpose. Design can then use that difference to
help make decisions about how we get from here to there (for instance to
help in making decisions about staffing, structure, involvement in product
teams, how to approach design problems, and so on).

Long story short, the statement of purpose is intended to be an organizing
tool - to create clarity through everyone understanding the purpose, and
trust by going through a collaborative process of definition amongst design
and their stakeholders - so that they can execute better and with decreased
friction.

A little more background and history:
As the Foundation has evolved over the years, there have been many
challenges and pain points around figuring out how design should function
and how it should be integrated into the various facets of the organization
(from product development to communications). Through all of the attempts
to address those challenges and pain points over the years, it's become
clear that the role and purpose of design is not well understood - at least
not in a shared and consistent way, which makes it nearly impossible to
find the right and lasting solutions. A few months ago, the Team Practices
Group was asked to help identify and resolve the major pain points - after
doing research, we agreed in conjunction with the design group that we
should pursue clarifying the purpose of design and validate it with their
stakeholders.

Does this answer your questions?