Throughout 2016, the US Copyright Office has been collecting input on the
DMCA safe harbors. WMF has submitted written comments to the Copyright
Office <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/04/06/save-safe-harbors-open-web/>[1]
and participated in in-person discussions
<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/06/16/copyright-law/>[2] on this issue.
We're currently in the process of preparing a submission as part of a second
round of Copyright Office comments
<https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/11/08/2016-26904/section-512-study-request-for-additional-comments>,
due in February.[3]

If you have questions about what's going on with the safe harbors or have
suggestions about what we should say in the second round of comments, I
encourage you to start a discussion on the public policy mailing list
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/publicpolicy>[4] or email me
directly.

 - Charles

[1] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/04/06/save-safe-harbors-open-web/
[2] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/06/16/copyright-law/
[3]
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/11/08/2016-26904/section-512-study-request-for-additional-comments

==
Charles M. Roslof
Legal Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
cros...@wikimedia.org
(415) 839-6885

NOTICE: This message might have confidential or legally privileged
information in it. If you have received this message by accident, please
delete it and let us know about the mistake. As an attorney for the
Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical reasons I cannot give legal advice
to, or serve as a lawyer for, community members, volunteers, or staff
members in their personal capacity. For more on what this means, please see
our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.