Specifically in response to Pete's questions about documents:

We have posted the Grant application materials on Foundation Wiki, with a
section linking to them on the Commons Grant Information page.[1]

Cheers,

Alex Stinson

[1]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/Sloan_Grant#What_did_the_grant_application_look_like.3F

> Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 12:52:57 -0800
> From: Pete Forsyth <petefors...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Exciting update about development of
>         structured data on Commons
>
> Structured data on Commons is a huge and important area -- for one thing,
> the whole Media Viewer project would have gone much more smoothly if there
> were underlying structured data to rely on. Kudos to WMF and Sloan for the
> focus on this issue!
>
> If I'm not mistaken, this is by far the most extravagant restricted grant
> in the history of the WMF. I believe the Stanton Foundation's usability
> grant ($890k in 2008)[1] and Public Policy Initiative grant ($1.2 million
> in 2010)[2] are the only ones that comes close. In the past, WMF board
> members have expressed great skepticism about -- specifically -- the Sloan
> Foundation's influence, when it sought to place an observer in WMF board
> meetings. A former WMF Executive Director has written at length about the
> dangers of restricted grants.
>
> It appears there is a new theory in play around restricted grants. Will
> somebody be expressing it publicly? Will the past practice of publishing
> the details of the grant expectations be followed?[3]
>
> -Pete
> --
> [[User:Peteforsyth]]
>
> [1] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2008/12/03/improved-usability-
> in-our-future/
> [2]
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/May_
> 2010_Wikimedia_Foundation_will_engage_academic_experts_
> and_students_to_improve_public_policy_information
> [3]
> https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Public_Policy_
> Initiative_project_details
>
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Wes Moran <wmo...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello Wikimedia community,
> >
> > It’s our delight to inform you that we received a US$3,015,000 grant from
> > the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_P._Sloan_Foundation> [1] to
> expedite
> > development of structured data on Commons. The grant will be given over
> the
> > course of three years, and will allow us to develop a team, in
> > collaboration with the Wikidata team at Wikimedia Deutschland, that can
> > focus on integrating the structured data features of Wikidata into
> > describing the media files on Commons.
> >
> > This work will allow us to expedite features both on the Wikidata
> > development roadmap, and in other products supported by the Wikimedia
> > Foundation. The grant also provides funding to ensure that movement
> > stakeholders, like Wiki Loves Monuments and GLAM-Wiki program leaders,
> and
> > external partners who contribute heavily to Commons, such as GLAMs, can
> be
> > involved in the development.
> >
> > We have drafted a high level overview of the grant and its scope,
> [...]

Alex Stinson
GLAM-Wiki Strategist
Wikimedia Foundation
Twitter:@glamwiki/@sadads

Learn more about how the communities behind Wikipedia, Wikidata and other
Wikimedia projects partner with cultural heritage organizations:
http://glamwiki.org