On 27 January 2017 at 09:21, Lodewijk <lodew...@effeietsanders.org> wrote:
> Do I understand correctly that this particular initiative will focus on
> fighting harassment, and not necessarily on preventing it? Basically in a
> similar pattern that vandalism is fought on most wikipedia projects?
>
> I really hope that prevention, education and (social) training will become
> a major point in the overall agenda, but I can imagine that we can't pay
> all that from the single grant :) So I just would like to place it in the
> proper context.
>
> Best,
> Lodewijk

+1 Spot on.

The plan appears to hinge on blocks as the outcome. Based on cases of
long term harassment targeted at individuals which invariably involved
off-wiki doxxing or contacting friends and family members of their
target, blocking Wikimedia accounts is an approach that may remove
Wikimedia projects as a platform but does little to help reform the
person causing harassment. I would rather see systems that include
reaching out to the apparent harasser to help them recognize and deal
with their anger or obsessive issues. Treating badly behaved
individuals as the "other", without aiming for a lasting resolution,
means we are back to the old days of telling the unfortunate
target/victim to change their identity or grow a thicker skin as the
on-line harassment may never stop.

Fae