On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 11:49 AM, Peter Southwood
<peter.southw...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> If the format was compiled before Trump was elected, then this argument is
> either irrelevant or becomes that the foundation must avoid offending
> politicians in power by changing public statements to be uncontroversial at
> the time of publishing.

The arguments being made here are not that WMF should avoid offending
politicians or be uncontroversial.

Understanding how a message will be received is the core of
communications, and should be reviewed and rechecked by the
communications team throughout a project, and even re-evaluated as the
final 'publish' button is clicked.

In this case I feel the message of the Annual Report is that WMF is
quite U.S. focused, and is overly anti-Trump.  The selection and order
of the first few facts mostly aligns with the key issues in U.S.
politics.  Those stories/examples/photos used to justify including
these first few facts in the WMF Annual Report seems occasionally
strained.  e.g. How did WMF support Wikimedian Andreas Weith taking
photos of polar bears?

If the WMF wants to project that image, those fact pages need beefing
up to support the WMF staking out a claim to get involved in those
fights.  Like others here, I dont think this is the right direction
for the WMF to take, but I agree with all the positions and appreciate
the significance of those issues.  The cynic in me feels that the WMF
projecting that image will resonate well with a large percentage of
the typical "Wikipedia" donors.

Given the facts (in the Annual Report) that most of the worlds
population is still not online, and those coming online or yet to come
online usually do not have access to education resources online in
their own language, an International focus would highlight those facts
as critical for the WMF's mission.  Those facts can also very
uncomfortable for politicians across the world, of all political
leanings, who spend more on guns than on books.  Those facts are also
very uncomfortable for a lot of liberals who have had a good education
and very comfortable lives, with a high quality Wikipedia in their own
language.  Those facts also underscore how far we are away from
reaching our mission, and encourage us to re-focus on the mission and
make us pause before getting too involved in problems that are not
clearly on mission.

--
John Vandenberg