On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Felipe Schenone <scheno...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If we migrate the content we currently have (on Meta and
> Wikiversity) to wikijournal.org, and the project grows, and eventually
> gets
> accepted as a sister-project (as we hope), how will we merge the user
> accounts? Should we not worry about it, and we'll figure it out when the
> time comes? Or should we totally worry about it, and adopt some strategy
> about it now? What's your advice on this issue?

Note: This post is my personal view and in no way represents any official
WMF position.

My personal guess is that it would wind up being done something like how
accounts on WikiVoyage were handled: people who used the same username on
both WikiVoyage and Wikimedia wikis were able to merge those accounts,
people whose usernames weren't already in use on Wikimedia wikis were able
to claim those names, and other people had to be renamed. Or at least it
seems that's what was done based on the plan document on mediawiki.org[1]
and the process page on en.wikivoyage.org.[2]

To reduce the number of people who would need renaming should the time
come, you might start using an extension like OAuthAuthentication[3] to
authenticate against Meta, and disable any further local account creations.

[1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikivoyage_migration/Accounts
[2]: https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Wikivoyage:User_account_migration
[3]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OAuthAuthentication