Hoi Gerard,

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 7:54 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> When you analyse articles and find that some things are missing, it will
> help a lot when you can target these articles to the people who are likely
> interested. When people interested in soccer learn that a soccer player
> died, they are more likely to edit even write an article.

​You are absolutely right. This is what we even tested in the article
creation recommendation experiment and you could see that providing
personalized recommendations (where personalization was on the basis of
matching editors interests based on their history of contributions​) does
better than random important recommendations. A few pointers for you:

* Check out section 2.3 of the paper at https://arxiv.org/pdf/1604.03235.pdf to
see how this was done.
* I talk briefly about how we do the editor interest modeling at
https://youtu.be/lHbnvRwFC_A?t=20m44s

In general, we have at least two ways for recommending to people what they
like to edit: one would be using the information in their past edit history
and building topical models that can help us learn what topics an editor is
interested in. The other is by asking the editor to provide some seeds of
interest to us. For example, we ask you to tell us what kind of article you
would edit, and we give you recommendations similar to the seed you
provide. Each have its own advantages and you sometimes have to mix the two
approaches (and more) to give the editor enough breadth and depth of topics
to choose from.

> The approach for finding a subject that could do with more attention is one
> I applaud. When you want to do this across languages think Wikidata to
> define the area of interest for users. It will always include all the
> articles in all the languages. As you have seen with the Listeria lists,
> showing red links and Wikidata items is trivial.

​Yes, finding what is missing in a Wikipedia language by comparing language
editions is relatively easy, thanks to Wikidata. :) What is hard is ranking
these millions of missing articles in any language based on some notion of
importance. We developed a ranking system for the research I mentioned
above. You can read about it in Section 2.2 of the paper at
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1604.03235.pdf​. I talk about in less details at
https://youtu.be/lHbnvRwFC_A?t=16m58s. In a nutshell: we built a prediction
model that aims to predict the number of pageviews the article would
receive had it existed in the destination language where it's missing
today. The higher this predicted number for a missing article in a
language, the more important it is to create it.

Best,
Leila