I think they continue to display the absolutely most irritating behaviour
of the old banners, which is the several second delay between the screen
that shows the content, and the overlaid banner that in the "old" baner
covers the content someone has already started reading and in the "new"
banner pushes down the content almost a full screen length and makes the
reader lose his or her place.  Frankly, I don't think whether or not the
"banner" looks like content is as much an issue as getting the banner to
show up at the same time as the page content.  I've been told, without
attribution, that this is intentional in order to really draw attention to
the banners, and I periodically see it on other websites as well. My
personal response is always the same: close the overlaying window and avoid
returning to the website if I can.

Of the two, though, I prefer the banner that pushes down the content over
the one that covers it because I could still navigate through the article.
(For the record, I am on a fast computer and using the highest speed
internet available for residential use in Canada - and the second banner
managed to still freeze my computer.)

Risker/Anne