As far as I can tell, the Foundation does not have "policy on news across
its various projects".

So the answer to your original question:

> > Has the Foundation made a conscious decision to promote Wikipedia as a
> > > source of news, and if so, what were the results of its discussions
> with
> > > the Wikipedia and Wikinews communities?  Will the Foundation allocate
> any
> > > extra resources to this effort?

would seem to be this: No, there is no particular decision to promote
Wikipedia as a source of news.  There have, however, been a number of blog
posts and communications celebrating Wikipedia's success at providing
relatively up-to-date and accurate information on current events.  No
discussion with either Wikipedia or Wikinews communities took place, or
needed to, as this was just another aspect of Wikipedia being showcased on
the Wikimedia blog.

As far as I can tell, the Foundation has not allocated any extra resources
to promoting Wikipedia as a news source.  You are mistaking a couple of
blog posts to signify Some Grand Policy Change, but it is not so.

    Asaf