Saluton,

To my mind, this whole discussion doesn't make any sense as it is all grounded on suspect hypotheses.

First, what do you call an essay? I think that for such a work the author must instill selfness in it. As say Montaigne <https://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Auteur:Michel_de_Montaigne> "c’eſt moy que ie peins <https://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Essais/Au_lecteur>". If you take that into consideration, how might you even begin to consider that there are any consensual ordering possible? Actually, a "commissioned essay" sounds more like an oxymoron than anything else.

Concerning the proposed subject, I would advise any person considering answering such a tricksy question to first question its premises. You might even explore the strict opposite question: can any institution ever give enough to a person for all the time dedicated into integrating its expectations? All this time that nothing will ever give back, and not spent in other life experiences that the said institution might not care about but that would be far more enjoyable.

So, to answer the last question, that's not simply your dichotomy which is false, it's the whole underlying premise set your are pushing that is total nonsense. No, you can not provide a well-order <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well-order> relation on any set for any property.

Moreover you seems to think that it suffices to drop money to achieve attracting "the best possible essay" in the scope of your nonsense contest. But what if "the best" essay writer in the pool you are targeting will be on the contrary repelled by such a contest?

Now, I'm not against fostering the idea of writing orignal essays around and within the Wikimedia movement. Currently, I don't think we have a clear dedicated project for that, although I come across some of them which are usually stored on Meta <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Essays>, in user namespaces <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:User_essays>, or on Wikibooks (for example A Lecture on the Limits of Human Knowledge <https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A_Lecture_on_the_Limits_of_Human_Knowledge>). So maybe a dedicated project for essays might make some sense.

Eseete,
mathieu