> But clearly my worry isn’t significantly shared by others, so I’ll park this
> here.

It's shared by me, but first let me agree with you on this:

> to be clear, I think Esra’a is an excellent addition to the WMF board.

I do too. The problem with the photography restriction is that we've
had a substantial number of deliberately anti-social detractors over
the years, including moderately well-organized trolls, many of whom
are still active, and a few of whom that have managed to consolidate
substantial power among the alt-right and would love to humiliate the
WMF and Ms. Al Shafei. What reasons are there to think that the state
actors from whom we are trying to hide Ms. Al Shafei's  images would
not be prompted by her appointment to try to obtain such photos, too?

I would prefer that we go a bit further than simply asking people to
refrain from taking photographs, and provide some sort of measures to
prevent them. I have no idea of the pros and cons of different
solutions, but a few that come to mind, roughly ordered from easiest
to most difficult, are: veils, room-dividers or opaque audio booths in
group events, photography-capable-equipment-at-the-door social rooms,
private entrance/exit accommodations, and security details.

If you simply ask people to refrain from taking photos, not everyone
will comply, some out of spite, and some because it may be their job.

Sincerely,
Jim