Hi Amir,

It isn't too late to ask about the utility of welcome messages, but be aware
that there are reasons for their evolution over the last decade. Your email
almost implied that this has been an unreviewed area  for the last decade.

There was some research a few years ago that concluded that welcomed editors
were more likely to stay, despite many welcomes being of the "welcome your
article has been tagged for deletion" variety. If someone fancies digging
further it would be good to compare welcomed  and unwelcomed editors among the
75% of newbies who edit existing articles and also among the 25% or whatever is
left of that who come here to create new articles.

I think that now would be a good time to develop tailored welcomes for mobile
and V/E newbies. I'm conscious that the Welcome I usually use assumes that
newbies who do good edits are using the classic editor and contributing with
something bigger than a tablet. So sometimes I leave newbies unwelcomed rather
than give them a potentially confusing welcome.

As for getting a welcome message from a wiki where I have visited but not
edited, I consider that a privacy violation. We normally claim not to log
anything about our readers, but if a logged in Wikimedian visits arwiki a log
is created artificially by issuing them a welcome. It isn't a Privacy violation
that especially irks me personally, but if we allow it we should change the
global privacy statements accordingly.

Regards

Jonathan