I wouldn't express it quite so bluntly, but agreed at a time when editing seems
to have stabilised again after the 2015/16 rally, shifting the Foundation to a
strategy of promoting compliance with both BY and SA would address a lot of
problems. It is probably demotivating for editors to see their work used
without attribution, and whilst a link back to Wikipedia is not as going to be
as good as an edit button, we are greatly limiting ourselves if we rely on
people coming directly to our sites and treat every extract from our sites as
CC0 or Fair Use.

A few legal letters and maybe a court case a year should be easily affordable
for the WMF and an excellent investment.

Regards

Jonathan