I think the experience I've had with translating matches up well with the conclusions James has outlined. Even though I'm more likely to translate content into English rather than out of English, the principles still hold.

Trying to produce a translation without quality content in the original article is a frustrating and pointless exercise for the translator. Unless the original meets certain standards, it would be better and easier to write the article from scratch in the "destination" language and translate it back to the "source" language.

Assuming we have a good article in the original language, I definitely encourage translators to use editorial judgment in what they carry over. Focusing on the lead section is one possible approach. In general, because we are trying to translate information and not literature, we should have different priorities. It is more important that the translation maintain fidelity to the facts than to the language and structure of the article. Sometimes it makes sense to pass over certain details, even a beginning-to-end translation might come out a bit condensed. As one reason for this, making some details accessible to the cultural audience in the new language can at times require a fair amount of elaboration, more than may be ideal for the context under discussion. The best approach to use is one of adaptation as much as translation.

I don't have strong feelings about whether a paid model will work, or work better than purely volunteer activity, but I would be open to seeing a trial. The essential thing is that we find translators who can understand and apply standards of quality in their work, much like we would expect if they were editors writing entirely new articles.

--Michael Snow