> > building an authoritative dictionary is considerably
> > harder than building a (de facto) authoritative encyclopedia.
>
> What reason is there to think that? My any measure of editor hours, or
> the amount of money it would take to replicate the effort, or the
> maintenance load going forward, I'm sure that even a three shelf foot
> encyclopedia is harder than a 100,000 word dictionary.

A couple of reasons:
* For the particular case of Wikimedia, we are using the same software for
Wiktionary as we do for Wikipedia. It's insane. MediaWiki wasn't made for
that. It was made for Wikipedia.
* An *authoritative* dictionary needs authority. It must be built by a team
of trained and certified linguists. It needs a large and systematized
collection of citations. It's just harder to do this for a dictionary than
for an encyclopedia. Citations for an encyclopedia these days are often
easily googlable, and the form of an encyclopedia article is freer than the
form of a dictionary entry, which must be super-strict.

The English Wiktionary community is overcoming both of these problem
valiantly.

It is overcoming the first problem by using lots of templates and gadgets,
which kinda work in practice, but which are hard to learn and to replicate
for other languages, and hard for software to process.

It is overcoming the second problem by being more practically useful than
authoritative, similarly to Wikipedia. Lexicographic citations in English
are particularly easy to google up, given that:
* English is the #1 language on the web
* Google is a company based in an English-speaking country and (probably)
getting most of its revenue from English-speaking customers
* English has a simple morphology, for which it is particularly easy to
build a well-working search engine for

However, while it's easy to google up examples for English word usage, I
strongly suspect that googling won't produce results that will be as
systematized as a citation database of Merriam-Webster is.

Wikipedia had proved long ago that it can compete—even if not necessarily
win—with the authority of Britannica, but Wiktionary hasn't yet proven that
it can compete with the authority of Merriam-Webster, Oxford, Houaiss,
Duden, etc.

(The English Wiktionary is not necessarily special; I also got to use the
French, German, and Dutch Wiktionaries a bit, and they all do it at a level
of quality that is comparable to the English one.)

Is it desirable for Wiktionary to get better? Of course it is. Can
Wiktionary get better? Yes, and path is quite clear. Wikidata's Lexeme
project is progressing slowly, but its direction is right. It will finally
build a technical platform that is actually good for a dictionary.

At https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T186421 I've been writing my ideas
about how Lexical Wikidata can actually be used by editors and readers. So
I'm very much on board with the idea of better Wiktionary. (Before you jump
to conclusions: These ideas were not solicited by Wikidata developers. They
are totally mine, and they are not in any way "official". I'm just writing
them down as a brain dump, in my personal volunteering capacity, hoping
that they will be useful to Wikidata developers.)

> > We are not *teaching* encyclopedia articles.
>
> What is the difference between delivering the text of an encyclopedia
> article and teaching it? Encyclopedias are not written to be
> accompanied by a lecturer, tutor, or teacher. We even teach how to
> write them, to students, in schools, and the students often if not
> almost always get academic credit for their work:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Education_program/Educators

Exactly: As Wikimedians, we are actively teaching people to write in
Wikipedia (and in other Wikimedia projects), but we are not teaching the
*subjects* of the articles. Not as Wikimedians. Some Wikimedians are also
teachers, and they use Wikipedia articles as handouts, but this is not
really a Wikimedia activity.

As Wikimedians we just make materials available, and we teach others *to
make them available*.

> > Wikimedia should be busy getting even better at its main thing: wiki
articles.

> Why? We are already the best at that.

We may be the best, and we are definitely the most popular, but we could be
so, so much better. And we should be.

As a simple high-level example, it's still not NEARLY as easy to become a
Wikipedia editor as it should be.

I often wish that Wikipedia had more substantial competitors, so it would
drive us to be faster at improving ourselves. Medium.com, Quora.com,
Genius.com, and some other web properties are occasionally mentioned as
Wikimedia's competitors, but none of them is doing quite the same thing as
Wikimedia does, and though each of them is quite popular, none is as
popular as Wikipedia is.

(I will readily admit, however, that Google is a competitor for providing
quick facts, and Facebook and Instagram are competitors for people's spare
time, especially on mobile devices. This is widely admitted, but
unfortunately we are not doing much to compete with them in these areas, at
least not yet.)

> Why not make the wiki articles
> in Wiktionary better by not just playing audio recordings of words,
> which volunteers (not the Foundation) already provide, but meeting
> that initiative by recording utterances and predicting whether they
> are intelligible pronunciations, and doing the same with recording
> gadgets in Wikipedia's pronunciation articles? http://j.mp/irslides

Cool! I've never said I'm opposed to such a thing. Collecting data that is
useful for teaching anything, including languages, is exactly what
Wikimedia should be doing, and doing it in new ways and media is welcome.
It's not just my opinion; it's explicitly written in the strategic
direction, and it makes a lot of sense.

But again, it's not *teaching*. It's *collecting data that is useful for
teaching*, which is not the same thing.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬