Hi David,
we're not good friends, we saw each other in real life very few times, in
Berlin and in Hong Kong,
but I always remember our work for the Wikisource IEG¹ one of the coolest
projects I've ever done in my life as a wikimedian.
We did well, I think, even if our results were small and there was a need
of some follow up work that didn't actually happen, even if I recall it as
a failure².
I'm writing here in the spirit of our movement: we like common things, and
I think yours is a common struggle.
I hope this little advice is at least bit helpful, and hopefully not for
you alone.

I think that you're misinterpreting the role of the Wikimedia movement in
your life.
Wikimedia can be an amazing place where you can find friends, a community
of peers, like-minded altruistic people, maybe even love,
but never, never, never *purpose*.
You can find purpose in other, more concrete and especially more close
things: family, friends, relationships, love, good careers, children, you
name it.
Wikimedia can be a great, awesome *accessory*, but it will never replace
those black holes that everyone of us stares in our lives.
Everytime I've seen this happen, everytime I've seen people trying to put
everything they had in Wikimedia, I've worried.
I know quite well this feeling: it took me quite a few years to understand
my own relationship with wikimedia was not ideal, and it was sucking life
out of me. As a chairman of a chapter I was quite stressed, and above all I
saw that wiki things constantly conflicted with other things in my life.
Eventually, I gave up, because I saw that this path as not going to end
well.

I've even seen few members of our community took their own life: some of
them were heavily invested in our wiki movement. Although I don't think
Wikimedia was the reason, I think it had became part of the problem: often,
people try to find something in Wikimedia that Wikimedia cannot actually
provide. Sometimes it's even the contrary: the more you give to wiki the
more it will ask you: we strive for "world domination", we want an
impossible thing, enormous thing all together. We want to give free access
to the all human knowledge to everyone, and we do this as a hobby.
It's a dream, and you work towards it: it's not something that you will
ever achieve. We've done incredible things in the last 18 years: but we
always get this feeling that we haven't even started yet... This leaves a
lot of room for stress, for anxiety, for not working properly and break
things.
You don't want to do that.

So, I'd encourage you (I'm encouraging everyone of us, myself included) to
pick your battles, check your priorities, start from the fundamentals:
health first, work first, daily important relationships first.
You need money to live, eat, pay your bills: don't put yourself in a worse
position than your current one.

You come first than Wikimedia. You can't do good if there's no "you" in the
first place.
I mean it.

I hope this helps,
Aubrey

¹ https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/Elaborate_
Wikisource_strategic_vision
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/Elaborate_Wikisource_strategic_vision/Finances>
² To be fair, I think we did a good job, and I think that WMF bears
responsability in the "failure" of the project. But it's not important now.