Hi Ad,Thanks for pointing out that open position. I am glad that WMF seems to
agree that at least some of these questions are worth asking and that WMF is
willing to dedicate staff time for this purpose.This is not a job that I am
seeking. I have too many disagreements and have had too many disappointing
experiences with WMF to want to work for them in a staff role. Maybe that will
change someday. I am already in the difficult position of wanting work to get
done by staff and/or potential grantees (I include myself in the latter
category) when I distrust WMF, and becoming an employee myself is unlikely to
be something that I would agree to do. Some things and people are not for
sale.I don't know what your qualifications for the job are, so I would feel
uncomfortable saying one way or another whether I think that you are a good
candidate. If you want to apply for it then I wish you good luck.Regards,Pine(
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )
-------- Original message --------From: Ad Huikeshoven
<ad.huikesho...@gmail.com> Date: 11/4/18  12:11 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: Wikimedia
Strategic planning for conferences hello Pine,Did you have a look at the events
team manager job description? It is anopen position, so there is currently
nobody at the wmf to answer yourquestion. For me the concept of 'event' is
broader than the range ofconferences you described. Would you consider yourself
as a candidate forthe position. Wpuld you consider me?greetings,AdOp zo 4 nov.
2018 20:58 schreef Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com:> Hello,>> My request from
September has gone unanswered, so I am trying again. I> don't think that there
is a single point of contact for conference funding> and strategy at WMF, but I
think that there should be, and perhaps the lack> of such a person is why there
hasn't been a response to this email. I don't> know who I should ping but I'm
hoping that Katy can provide at least a> partial response, or direct this email
to someone who can do so.>> Thanks,>> Pine> (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )>>> On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 5:55 PM
Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:>> > Mindful of the ongoing discussions
about conferences, I think that it> > would be helpful to have a big picture
understanding of the goals, plans,> > and budgets for conferences
collectively.> >> > As far as I know, these are the types of recurring
conferences:> >> > (1) Wikimania, which seems to be a multi-purpose
international> conference,> > with somewhat open admission if someone can
afford to attend, is willing> to> > attend, and can get the necessary legal
permissions;> >> > (2) the Wikimedia Summit (which I hope will get a name
change to reflect> > its actual scope, because it's not an all-Wikimedia
summit) which will> > focus on WMF, WMF committees that work with WMF affiliate
organizations,> > and WMF affiliate organizations;> >> > (3) thematic
conferences, such as the Wikisource Conference;> >> > (4) regional conferences,
such as WikiConference North America;> >> > (5) organization-specific meetings
of various kinds, including affiliate> > organizations' annual general meetings
and WMF All Hands, and> >> > (6) the Wikimedia Technical Conference.> >> > I
believe that WMF intended to do some strategic planning for the> > collection
of conferences as a part of the larger WMF-led strategic> > planning process.
Is this type of planning underway for conferences, and> if> > so can we get an
update from someone who is familiar with the situation?> If> > the person who
will respond is a paid staff member, then please feel free> > to wait to
respond until a convenient workday next week. In the meantime,> > other people
may wish to comment or ask questions.> >> > Thanks!> >> > Pine> > (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )> >>