Hi everyone,

Many in the community may not have the chance to have met Victoria, so I
want to start by sharing my thanks for her work. The Technology department
at the Wikimedia Foundation does many things, but most simply understood,
they're the ones who keep our projects running, every day of the year, rain
or shine. Unless you're a technical contributor or lurk on IRC, you may not
interact with them in the same way you do with other parts of the
Foundation. But they're utterly critical to Wikimedia, and for the past two
years, Victoria has led this essential department.

When Victoria joined, the Foundation had not had a dedicated CTO in many
years. She spent the better part of the past two years as a tireless
advocate for the work of the Technology department, transforming disparate
pieces into a coherent and compelling program structure. Victoria has never
stopped marveling at how much the department had accomplished on a
shoestring. Together, we worked to try and extend the length of that
shoestring, building out the structures of a team that is increasingly
diverse and incredibly dedicated to the work. Many teams now are in
positions to be much more forward-looking than in many years, with space to
take on new challenges. There’s certainly more to do, but thanks to these
efforts we have a better sense of the ambitious targets that we still need
to reach in service of our mission.

With so much important work to do, we're already planning for a new CTO.
We'll begin preparations for the search immediately, and should launch
formally in February. In the meantime, I am truly grateful to our current
Director of Search Platform Engineering, Erika Bjune, for stepping up to
take on the role of interim CTO. We know this search will likely be on the
longer side, given our unique mission and structure. As such, please engage
with Erika as a full acting CTO, who will keep critical decisions and
programs moving forward. Fortunately, Victoria has also volunteered to stay
on in a consulting role, in order to provide additional support during the
transition and in annual planning. This puts us in a good place, and from
the community, we anticipate you won't even notice a change.

Of course, even though I'm sad Victoria is leaving, I am thrilled that not
only are her skills and experience being recognized but that she is putting
them to such meaningful use at another mission-oriented organization -- and
please do join me in congratulating Victoria on her new role!

We wish you the very best in this next move, and like everyone, warn you
that you’ll never truly be a former Wikimedian!

Katherine

Katherine Maher (she/her)

Executive Director