Dear all,

Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong has released the following
statement in response to the effect to the local community from the use of
Emergency Regulations Ordinance within the city:

***

Free speech, expression and access to uncensored web services are some of
the fundamental requirements for anyone living in Hong Kong to access
Wikipedia and its sister projects, which is also a protected right under
the Basic Law of Hong Kong.

Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong is in dire concern regarding
recent moves by the government. The usage of such ordinance can bring
negative effects to the local community and members of the public who want
to access Wikipedia:

   1. Usage of the ordinance can restrict the organization of offline
   meetups in Hong Kong
   2. Usage of the ordinance can also restrict access to Wikipedia and its
   sister projects

Such worries are not fabricated, as a member of the Executive Council of
Hong Kong expressed such possibility of removing internet access within
Hong Kong through enacting relevant provisions.

We hope all members of the public, especially the police, the government
itself, protesters, etc. to remain calm and not to initiate violence.

We also continue our stance to conference participants and organizers not
to use Hong Kong as a transit point for going to/from events.
***
William Chan (User:1233)
Board Member, Education Programme Coordinator
Wikimedia Community User Group Hong Kong