Hi Aron,

I should be careful not to paint everyone with the same brush.

I have great respect for WMF's mission. It would be difficult to have
adequate legal support and technical infrastructure for Wikimedia projects
without one or more organizations providing formal and ongoing support.

WMF as an institution is something that I should distinguish from
individuals who work for WMF, or individuals who are on the WMF Board. I
think that there are some people at WMF who do excellent work. While I
don't want to name them here, there are numerous employees who I think go
above and beyond the call of duty to support the community and WMF's
mission.

Also, I should point out that Leila is a different from Lila. (In the past,
I owed Leila money for misspelling her name.)

However, all is not well. I don't enjoy the periodic clashes that happen
between the community and WMF.

Here are a couple of arguments from WMF in favor of SuperProtect, which was
implemented to prevent local users from removing MediaViewer. I don't know
that these same arguments would be made today, but WMF's statements
regarding its unwelcome intervention in English Wikipedia's governance in
2019 give me a lot of reason to question how much respect WMF has for the
English Wikipedia community and how well WMF knows English Wikipedia.

1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_talk:Media_Viewer/June_2014_RfC&oldid=616518543#Response_to_the_Media_Viewer_RfC

2. https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2014-August/073927.html

I hope that this background information is helpful.

Pine