On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 23:10, Karen Brown <kbr...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hello, everyone.
>
> I'm writing with information about the Ombudsman Commission (OC), the small
> group of volunteers who investigate complaints about violations of the
> privacy policy, and in particular concerning the use of CheckUser and
> Oversight tools, on any Wikimedia project for the Board of Trustees.

Thank you for the update, Karen!

I hope the new commission will be able to more promptly respond to reports.
Our community processes failing to address issues is a topic discussed to
no end in the community consultations. Could you please reflect on what can
be the problem causing that only half of the requests are answered and
those take over 90 days to resolve
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ombudsman_commission/2019/Report_Jan-Jun>?
Are there any plans to shorten the response time? This seems to be a very
long time. How long did those cases over 90 days take?

I hope nobody else has to wait as long my case takes. My editing experience
was very negatively affected by a simple mistake for 7 months now, despite
that the case is well-documented
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Aron_Manning/Enwiki_issue> and clear
that a single good-faith edit
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Ethiopian_Airlines_Flight_302&diff=prev&oldid=893311449>
properly
signing the main account's comment was mistaken as abuse.

In the last 7 months, I've been trying every existing process to address
this issue and still, the resulting badge of shame
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Aron_Manning> on my user page causes
everyday stress as the basic assumption that I regularly experience and
have to disprove is that I'm a bad faith editor, causing damage, although
I'm the victim of the actual damage.

I believe this was not the purpose here, but all my attempts to communicate
about this were rejected on-wiki and through the functionaries list, where
such concerns are to be directed
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:CheckUser#CheckUser_blocks> (but
my email address was blocked) and were unanswered (not acknowledged
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee/Procedures#Incoming_mail>)
by the Arbitration Committee.

I've waited for a resolution (or just an update) from the OC in the last 7
months. I hope that this dire situation is resolved in the near future by
ombuds who aren't involved with enwiki or my recent rejected rename request
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Steward_requests/Username_changes/2020-01#Aron_Manning_2>
.

Until then could you please elaborate on the factors that caused such a
delay and on how I could help that process move forward?

With appreciation,
Aron Manning