Hi, Nathan.

I appreciate your recommendations; they are both very good. :)

In a situation that comes through the usual processes, the investigative
team would usually direct the person contacting them to a policy page on
the local project or to a specific functionary group. So, Oversight, for
instance, in case of leaked personal data. In this case, I suspect
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Harassment#Dealing_with_harassment
would have suited the situation better.

Unfortunately, we didn’t anticipate redirecting somebody with a dispute of
this sort via the emergency@ channel. As I mentioned above, staff are
directed not to handle other matters through that channel. When off-topic
requests (for the channel) come in, people are usually asked to mail ca@
and to expect a response within two business days. In this case, given the
level of distress, the emergency responder wanted to offer something more
rapid without being herself deeply familiar with the English Wikipedia
approaches. I’m very supportive of her desire to help, and we are going to
make sure that emergency@ responders have better support in where to direct
these issues while still maintaining our strict protocol of not using that
channel to handle any issues other than threats of physical harm. Nobody
wants to try to help somebody only to increase their distress. :(

I also agree that she should have mentioned ca@ in the email. She actually
included that channel in her response as a cc, but because of the
personally tailored answer seems to have inadvertently omitted mentioning
the fact of the cc. I do want to note that the individual in this case had
already been asked to correspond with ca@ if there were issues that didn’t
merit consideration for escalation to law enforcement. I certainly
understand that he may have overlooked that in his distress, and it should
have been repeated. I myself am very capable of overlooking things even
when NOT distressed, and we should make the processes we DO have as smooth
and painless as possible for people.

We are learning from this. We’ll make the process better.

Best regards,

Maggie