Hi everyone,

The Movement Strategy Support Team is happy to share the results from the
second set of Global Conversations. [1] There are text and video options
presenting summaries from the discussions. Please review and continue the
conversation on-wiki. [2]

We were able to organize inclusive and participatory virtual global events
– a first of such scale in our movement – thanks to the efforts of the
Transition Design Group. [3] We are grateful for their work and for many
individuals, groups, and organizations around the world who made these
discussions truly global.

Quick recap

During the first set of Global Conversations in November, eight (8) global
priorities for implementing the Movement Strategy recommendations were
identified. [4] The global priorities built on local, regional, and
thematic submissions by more than 50 affiliates and groups [5], discussions
on Meta, and live surveys during the global meetings.

The November set of global discussions asked ‘what should be the top
globally-coordinated initiatives for the movement in 2021?’ The December
global discussions went one step further and asked ‘what should be the
immediate steps for implementing an initiative?’ The top global initiatives
are:

   -

   The Interim Global Council and the Movement Charter
   -

   Improving user experience and resources for newcomers
   -

   Skills and leadership development
   -

   Regional and thematic hubs
   -

   Funding for underrepresented communities
   -

   Increased awareness about the movement
   -

   Alignment with environmental sustainability
   -

   High-impact topics and content gaps

You can read and watch summaries of the discussions for each topic. We
encourage you to share your thoughts with us in the discussion spaces.

Next steps

The Support Team will organize follow up discussions of different sizes for
the top initiatives starting in January. The aim is to bring together
interested individuals, communities, affiliates, and Wikimedia Foundation
teams to identify key steps and milestones for implementation.

There will also be two sets of focused discussions on the Interim Global
Council in late January and early February. More information to be shared
in the new year. In the meantime, you can familiarize yourself with the
thinking and remaining questions about the Interim Global Council. [6]

We are committed to support community members overcome barriers to virtual
participation, such as data packages and childcare for the duration of
meetings. We plan to offer similar support for the follow-up discussions,
so we can continue to include a diverse range of perspectives in creating
the implementation plan. We are working on details of the particular
programs and will let you know in early 2021.

On behalf of the Support Team,

Kaarel

[1] Report from the second set of Global Conversations:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Global_Conversations/Report/December

[2] Designated discussion spaces for each cluster:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Discuss

[3] The Transition Design Group:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Design_Group#Design_Group

[4] Report from the first set of Global Conversations:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Global_Conversations/Report

[5] Map and table of community priorities:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Prioritization_events/Table

[6] The Interim Global Council:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Transition/Interim_Global_Council

--