Hello all,

This month's Wikimedia Research Showcase will be held on Wednesday, June
23, at 16:30 UTC (9:30am PDT). The theme is "AI model governance" with
presentations from Haiyi Zhu of Carnegie Mellon University and Andy Craze
and Chris Albon of the Wikimedia Foundation's Machine Learning Team.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USSBuwebWt4
Mediawiki:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Showcase#June_2021

Talk 1

Speaker: Haiyi Zhu (Carnegie Mellon University)

Title: Bridging AI and HCI: Incorporating Human Values into the Development
of AI Technologies

Abstract: The increasing accuracy and falling costs of AI have stimulated
the increased use of AI technologies in mainstream user-facing applications
and services. However, there is a disconnect between mathematically
rigorous AI approaches and the human stakeholders’ needs, motivations, and
values, as well as organizational and institutional realities, contexts,
and constraints; this disconnect is likely to undermine practical
initiatives and may sometimes lead to negative societal impacts. In this
presentation, I will discuss my research on incorporating human
stakeholders’  values and feedback into the creation process of AI
technologies. I will describe a series of projects in the context of the
Wikipedia community to illustrate my approach. I hope this presentation
will contribute to the rich ongoing conversation concerning bridging HCI
and AI and using HCI methods to address AI challenges.

Talk 2

Speaker: Andy Craze, Chris Albon (Wikimedia Foundation, Machine Learning
Team)

Title: ML Governance: First Steps

Abstract: The WMF Machine Learning team is upgrading the Foundation's
infrastructure to support the modern machine learning ecosystem. As part of
this work, the team seeks to understand its ethical and legal
responsibilities for developing and hosting predictive models within a
global context. Drawing from previous WMF research related to ethical &
human-centered machine learning, the team wishes to begin a series of
conversations to discuss how we can deploy responsible systems that are
inclusive to newcomers and non-experts, while upholding our commitment to
free and open knowledge.

--
Janna Layton (she/her)
Administrative Associate - Product & Technology