¹ OK, the existence of the Good Governance Kodex, and its Good Governance
Gremium <https://mitglieder.wikimedia.at/Good_Governance_Kodex>, may be the
best thing I learned all day.  Thank you, WMAT!

Some precedents:
~ As Florence noted, in 2007, Erik made a similar transition.  (A bit
contentious; there was a long internal-l thread).
~ In 2013, Ting stepped down from the Board to apply to the ED search; and
addressed concerns at the time. (Discussion on this list
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=7f4d33b442&view=lg&permmsgid=msg-f%3A1433039687338740686>
)

Since then we've thought more intently about this sort of transition across
the movement, and shared many excellent learning patterns
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Learning_patterns/Governance_Codex>,¹ but
I haven't seen a resulting global rule of thumb honoring that work. This
feels like a good moment to develop such a lightweight overview.  E.g.,
"orgs over size X should review this list of [[common patterns]], and
consider implementing a version of each [links to global + regional
WM-wide examples]".

SJ
--
topnoting >> topposting
*the community that norms together, warms together*, &c.

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266