Wikimedia,

I have a psephological and election historical observation that I would like to
share with Wikimedia.

Low-brow, crass, and manipulative political advertising and marketing, various
hot-button, third-rail, dog-whistle, and wedge issues, have been deployed by
candidates, campaigns, and political actors and organizations during American
election seasons. These tactics are very much a part of our elections and
appear to be subsequently omitted from encyclopedic (e.g., Wikipedia) and
historical coverage of the elections (e.g., 2000 – 2020).

How low have election campaigns gone? Very. Yet, for some reasons, American
encyclopedists and historians appear to be almost complicit, glossing over
these problematic election campaign tactics. Each historical election appears
to be reduced to a single encyclopedia article or small cluster of such
articles, only some such articles attempt to list election issues, and no such
article mentions campaign advertising and marketing themes and tactics deployed
by campaigns, political actors, and organizations on radio, television, the
Web, or social media.

I propose that encyclopedists, scholars, and scientists seek to attend to,
remember, and record election campaign mass media tactics and manipulations
lest we, the American people, be doomed to repeat them in future elections.
Perhaps by remembering the election campaign advertising and marketing tactics
utilized, including on social media, and listing them encyclopedically, a
buoyant pressure can be created with which to elevate our American politics.

Thank you for your time and for considering these ideas with which to improve
encyclopedic coverage of American elections.

Best regards,
Adam Sobieski