This is a proposal that would need to be included in next year's funding plan.
It also would involve an obligation for the other teams within the Foundation.

**Part 1: Funding redistribution and Big Ticket team**
This year, we (that is, the WMF using movement funds) spent a huge amount of
money ($4.5 million) just directly donating to external knowledge equity funds.

This was done without Community review, or indeed, approval of the concept. A
look through our email archives will show it was hardly a popular use of our
money.

I propose that we stand-up a 2nd community wishlist team. Going off the average
salaries, and the standard non-salary overhead for equivalent organisations, it
should support a 16-18 person team.

This team's purpose is to handle the "Big Ticket" items, beyond the capacities
of the current team. It will probably be 1-2 main items a year, with the
ability to handle small(er) items from the main wishlist if they finish
slightly early.

The current team could then alternate annually between
Wikipedia/Wikidata/Commons items and small-project items.

**Part 2: blocked item obligations**

By far and away the two most common reasons for wishlist items being declined
are "too large a project" (hopefully handled by part 1) and "in another team's
scope". This aims to handle the 2nd issue with a "co-operate or takeup" mandate.

Where another team is "in the way" of a wishlist item, it should be obligated
to fulfill that item itself within 24 months, or co-operate and utilise the
Wishlist team's resources to fulfill it while avoiding disruption from separate
workflows.